…even though you, yourself, still does.
And while I think many would agree that “51 is the new 21”, I can’t help but notice society has been throwing a particular message in my face lately – that I’m no longer part of the “young crowd”.
To hell with society, I say!
Perhaps it’s because my thirty-fifth birthday is quickly approaching or maybe it’s just a coincidence, but I thought I’d share some of my observations of society’s little plan to make me care about what it thinks…So, here are few…
WAYS TO KNOW SOCIETY NO LONGER THINKS OF YOU AS “YOUNG”.
1. People your own age complain about being old.
2. When you date someone younger than you and your friends and/or family feel the need to ask if he or she might just be TOO young, even though they’re well over the age of twenty.
3. Your health insurance sends you a letter about an increase in premium BECAUSE you’re getting older.
4. Your 3-year old nephew asks you why you don’t have a boyfriend.
5. On your next birthday, you’ll be checking a whole new box in the age category on forms.
6. People gasp and say “You look so much younger!” when they find out how old you are.
7. Nick at Nite now airs the sitcoms from YOUR youth, not your parents.
8. A large portion of your friends don’t want you to call after ten at night anymore…
9. You find yourself saying to a CO-WORKER, “That was before your time.”